Wednesday 22 October 2014

Buttermere

On my last full day in the Lake District I went to Buttermere, a very picturesque lake. The weather was glorious with blue skies and warm temperatures. I decided to climb up to Red Pike and then walk along the ridge to High Stile and back down to the lake..












 Once above the tree line I could look down over Buttermere.


 Walking up further I could now see the whole of Crummock Water. This lake is separated from Buttermere by a few fields.










 This is Bleaberry Tarn where I stopped to catch my breath.
Looking down on the Tarn after another steep climb up to the ridge and Red Pike.






The wind was really blowing so I decided not to stay on the ridge but to make my way down following another path that was on my map.


 I soon found the path but it petered out and I was left to follow a narrow stream bed on a very steep slope.






These were the last two photos I took as the descent got steeper and steeper. It took all my concentration and both hands to ensure I didn't fall! You can actually see the sea in the distance from here as well as almost being able to eyeball the pilots of the military aircraft flying past. Not so keen on the wind turbines disrupting the view.

12 comments:

  1. Just cought up with your last blog as well. You must be fitter than me to climb there, not sure my knees would cope let alone the rest of me. Some superb views you have shown

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lake District is really a gorgeous place ! My son went there on honeymoon !

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a rather wild area, without any houses or buildings around. I like that, here you always see a electric wire pole or a wind turbine in our crowded country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the array of photos. You caught such beautiful skies.

    RE the turbines...just tell your brain they're dynamic art, interacting with the environment. "Ah. They're beautiful."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know what happened to my first comment. hmm.. Anyway sounds like a nice vacation there in the Lake District. Do you use a hiking stick when you walk?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice day you had for the walk, even if it was a little windy. I usually go out and back if I'm by myself, just to avoid what happened to you. Glad you made it home safely and decided to share your adventure with me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a wonderful walk! Beautiful lake and blue sky! I spot two of windmills in the distance. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pics! What a lovely lake and scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks a perfect place to soak up the peace and quiet and incredible views. Glad you had good weather and sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, fantastic landscapes and so inspiring for poets and writers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopped to catch your breath? No no. Paused to take photos. I take many photo stops when walking. Many hate wind turbines in the countryside, but I like them if there is only one or two. I saw my first wind turbine from the M6 somewhere near the Lake District in 2008. It was framed by two steep hills and looked so majestic. I am not so keen on farms of wind turbines.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.